DC Comics Fanbase
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sunday Funnies-

3 posters

Go down

The Sunday Funnies- Empty The Sunday Funnies-

Post by Vandal 10/11/2009, 9:24 pm

Which ones do you follow?

I really admire Mutts and Peanuts.

Lots of the comic strips happen to involve animals which I find a little strange...
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Sunday Funnies- Empty Re: The Sunday Funnies-

Post by RustleXer 11/8/2009, 5:56 am

garfield, zits and the arctic circle... funny stuff :D
RustleXer
RustleXer

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 11/8/2009, 5:39 pm

I haven't really been a fan of Garfield since it was revealed he was actually abandoned and starving to death and that the rest of the comic strip from that point on was just his imagination coming up with a better life for himself as he died. That kinda messed with my head when I was a kid and has stopped any enjoyment of the strip from that point on.

I've always liked Dilbert though. And Sinfest, but that's a webcomic that COULD be syndicated if not for the fact it uses religion.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 11/9/2009, 12:43 am

Xenophobic Sponge wrote:I haven't really been a fan of Garfield since it was revealed he was actually abandoned and starving to death and that the rest of the comic strip from that point on was just his imagination coming up with a better life for himself as he died. That kinda messed with my head when I was a kid and has stopped any enjoyment of the strip from that point on.

Holy crap... Where was this? Was it that one story where Garfield was in his house all alone, and that he kept seeing visions of Jon and Odie? Later on he had to use his imagination..?
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 11/9/2009, 1:47 am

Mercy wrote:
Xenophobic Sponge wrote:I haven't really been a fan of Garfield since it was revealed he was actually abandoned and starving to death and that the rest of the comic strip from that point on was just his imagination coming up with a better life for himself as he died. That kinda messed with my head when I was a kid and has stopped any enjoyment of the strip from that point on.

Holy crap... Where was this? Was it that one story where Garfield was in his house all alone, and that he kept seeing visions of Jon and Odie? Later on he had to use his imagination..?

Yeah, that's the one. The "You're more alone than you think Garfield" series of strips. It's creepy as hell, and I loved it but now I can't really enjoy the series because Garfield's all alone.

The only info on it now that I can readily find is from the Onion AV Club (Garfield is #12)

To Quote the write up

"Of course, some people claim that Garfield himself died back in the late 1980s, when the strip ran an eerie, inexplicable weeklong storyline in which Garfield wakes up to the realization that his home is an abandoned, disintegrating part of a barren landscape. Running from room to room in a panic, he realizes he's alone. (Weird inset narration panel: "You have no idea how alone you are, Garfield.") Briefly, he encounters Jon and Odie, and reaches to accept the food Jon offers, but the entire thing turns out to be a mirage. The weird narration continues, over creepy images of a sweaty, squinting eye and a screaming Garfield: "Locked fast within a time when he no longer exists, Garfield grapples with his greatest fear… loneliness. He has only one weapon… denial." Whereupon Jon and Odie reappear, and the storyline abruptly ends with some blather about the power of imagination. Some fans have suggested that this all means Garfield is either dead, or dying of hunger in an abandoned house, and that the rest of the strip is his fevered attempt to imagine a better life for himself. Doesn't that make the strip's saccharine repetitions a lot more interesting?"

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 11/9/2009, 8:44 pm

Xenophobic Sponge wrote:
Mercy wrote:

Yeah, that's the one. The "You're more alone than you think Garfield" series of strips. It's creepy as hell, and I loved it but now I can't really enjoy the series because Garfield's all alone.

The only info on it now that I can readily find is from the Onion AV Club (Garfield is #12)

To Quote the write up

"Of course, some people claim that Garfield himself died back in the late 1980s, when the strip ran an eerie, inexplicable weeklong storyline in which Garfield wakes up to the realization that his home is an abandoned, disintegrating part of a barren landscape. Running from room to room in a panic, he realizes he's alone. (Weird inset narration panel: "You have no idea how alone you are, Garfield.") Briefly, he encounters Jon and Odie, and reaches to accept the food Jon offers, but the entire thing turns out to be a mirage. The weird narration continues, over creepy images of a sweaty, squinting eye and a screaming Garfield: "Locked fast within a time when he no longer exists, Garfield grapples with his greatest fear… loneliness. He has only one weapon… denial." Whereupon Jon and Odie reappear, and the storyline abruptly ends with some blather about the power of imagination. Some fans have suggested that this all means Garfield is either dead, or dying of hunger in an abandoned house, and that the rest of the strip is his fevered attempt to imagine a better life for himself. Doesn't that make the strip's saccharine repetitions a lot more interesting?"

Damn, when I read that I thought it was creepy, but then I didn't think much of it... now you say that's his death... it does make every comic... interesting.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RustleXer 4/30/2010, 6:31 am

Xenophobic Sponge wrote:
Mercy wrote:

To Quote the write up

......damn that just made me depressed dude :S
RustleXer
RustleXer

Back to top Go down

Post by RustleXer 4/30/2010, 6:39 am

Xenophobic Sponge wrote:
Mercy wrote:

To Quote the write up

HA i found a site that says garfield is alive!!! XD win!!!

http://boingboing.net/2006/08/09/death-of-garfield-my.html
RustleXer
RustleXer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down