DC Comics Fanbase
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you consider writing to be a form of art?

+7
AkAlina
Xenophobic Sponge
Charm
Vandal
Fishing4Infinity
Riaaanna
SnowFallsSlow
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you consider writing to be a form of art? Empty Would you consider writing to be a form of art?

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/5/2010, 8:20 am

Last night in the chat box-

(Wow, you already know this isn't going to go well; I sound like someone from some support group. o.O)

Anyway, Karma said something about everyone on here being an amazing artist. I, of course, countered, presenting the fact that I, Snow, am hardly an artist.

Apparently, writing has become an art form while I wasn't looking. -.-

So, the question I pose to you is merely this:

Is writing an art form, therefore making me an artist, or am I right, and art and writing are two separate things?
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Would you consider writing to be a form of art? Empty Re: Would you consider writing to be a form of art?

Post by Riaaanna 2/5/2010, 8:45 am

Anything creative is a form of art Smile
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Would you consider writing to be a form of art? Empty Re: Would you consider writing to be a form of art?

Post by Fishing4Infinity 2/5/2010, 9:57 am

Rianna Lauren wrote:Anything creative is a form of art Smile

HA!!

Told you Snow!
Fishing4Infinity
Fishing4Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 2/5/2010, 10:11 am

Why make a post a topic on this Snow? We didn't convince you yet? xD
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riaaanna 2/5/2010, 10:13 am

xDDDDDDDDDDDDD looks like it, Mercy lol
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/5/2010, 11:59 am

XD No, I slipped out before my resolve waned.

Besides, I haven't met anyone IRL that thinks writing is an art form. Well, besides Chinese and Japanese picture writing.

And, I've only posted two topics, this being one of them. Might as well do it. :D
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Charm 2/5/2010, 12:09 pm

Snow, the Greeks considered MANY things as "art"-- including theater, painting, music, medicine, literature, and more! :D Yes, writing is an art.

Charm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishing4Infinity 2/5/2010, 1:04 pm

I like Greek food ^_^
Fishing4Infinity
Fishing4Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 2/5/2010, 2:22 pm

Fishing4Karma wrote:I like Greek food ^_^
>_> yes... what is greek food?
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riaaanna 2/5/2010, 5:03 pm

Pasta? O.o Oh wait, that's Italian... XD uh..
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 2/5/2010, 5:22 pm

Art Forms are any kind of medium that allows you to express yourself. The most common, other than art, being Theatre, Music, and Literature.

So yes, as far as the dictionary definition of Art Form is concerned, writing is an art. Some may even wager a more difficult one. It's very hard to paint a picture using words, and yet the great writers of the world can describe images vividly enough that you have them in your mind crystal clear.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/5/2010, 6:56 pm

What, you mean most people can't do something like this?

"She always hated this part, stalking around the building while one of them was in that room. Even worse, she usually had to pass right by the room; she had a sneaking suspicion that Angelina did that on purpose. The bass thudded loudly, though June more felt than heard it, felt it shaking through her legs and pounding in her bones. She could hardly imagine how bad it was inside the soundproofed room. The kitchen, her destination, was just four or five yards away. She could make it if she focused, ignored thoughts of the poor boy locked in that accursed room. Closing her eyes, she practically charged forward, into the tiny kitchen. She opened her eyes, breathing a sigh of relief before looking around. There was an old refrigerator, a stolen microwave, and a half broken toaster, but plenty of counter space, so it didn’t feel as crowded as it was."

Well, not that; it's not really describing an image....

*begins looking for a specific paragraph*
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/5/2010, 7:01 pm

This is closer to what I meant:

"The room was dark and he had to strain his eyes to see anything at all. Speakers lined the walls, half of their mesh covers broken. He was in a creaky bed with a hard spring mattress. His wrists were handcuffed to the thick pipes that made up the headboard, and his bare feet were in the same predicament. He closed his eyes, trying to slow his frightened breathing and think logically. A forced, slow breath in, a shaking, deliberate breath out. In, out. When he could hear his heartbeat coming down to a more acceptable pace, he opened his eyes again, glancing around with a more analytical eye.

The room was small, and circular, if the low ceiling was any indicator. The speakers were stacked three or four high, none of them matching; they’d probably been picked up at a thrift store. He didn’t see any glowing words or numbers that would have indicated a radio or stereo set they were hooked up to. That was odd. The bed, though rickety, seemed to have been bolted to the floor; he tried rolling, shifting his weight to tip it over and it remained upright. Sighing heavily, he lay back down. The strain of half-sitting while wrenching his shoulders back was starting to hurt more than he wanted to deal with at the moment. The thin pillow his head touched was cold with water; he remembered with slight disgust how hot it had been…however long ago it was now. His hair was still damp, probably from sweat."

Two paragraphs. Not one. Oh, well.
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 2/5/2010, 7:45 pm

SnowFallsSlow wrote:What, you mean most people can't do something like this?

Not while enjoying themselves, no.

Plus, people often overdo it in the description area. You have to strike a balance between painting your picture and boring your audience with too much pointless detail. Add onto that proper spelling, need of a decent vocabulary, proper grammar, interesting ideas, characters, flow, etc etc etc.

There's a lot to become a good story teller, just as there's a lot to becoming a talented artist, musician or stage actor.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/5/2010, 7:55 pm

Oh.

*has always thought that anyone could do that, and wondered why more people didn't*
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by AkAlina 2/5/2010, 9:26 pm

Of course it is an art form! It's expression!
AkAlina
AkAlina

Back to top Go down

Post by SylverBluTitan 2/5/2010, 11:48 pm

Of course it is. Writing isn't easy. It's transferring a mental image not into a replica of like a painting or drawing, but into words that sculpt the mental image into a living, breathing substance. The act of writing, as it would with drawing I imagine, is a very exhausting process. It takes a lot out of a person.
SylverBluTitan
SylverBluTitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishing4Infinity 2/13/2010, 6:19 pm

[17:18:45] SnowFallsSlow : I, SnowFallsSlow, am 0, completely, an artist.

[17:18:53] SnowFallsSlow : *100 percent.

BOOOOYAAAAH!!!!

I GOTCHA SNOW!!!!

Would you consider writing to be a form of art? La__D_by_ninathewolfie
Fishing4Infinity
Fishing4Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by Riaaanna 2/13/2010, 6:32 pm

Hooray for Snow! :D I suppose that makes me an artist too, yes? XD
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 2/14/2010, 7:56 pm

Fishing4Karma wrote:[17:18:45] SnowFallsSlow : I, SnowFallsSlow, am 0, completely, an artist.

BOOOOYAAAAH!!!!

I GOTCHA SNOW!!!!

Lol you're totally taking my spot in proving others wrong with their own words! XD
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AkAlina 2/14/2010, 8:46 pm

Fishing4Karma wrote:[17:18:45] SnowFallsSlow : I, SnowFallsSlow, am 0, completely, an artist.

BOOOOYAAAAH!!!!

I GOTCHA SNOW!!!!

I was a witness :] Ha!
AkAlina
AkAlina

Back to top Go down

Post by Riaaanna 2/15/2010, 4:08 am

xD Yay. We're all artists! :D
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 2/15/2010, 4:23 am

Are you insane for even asking this question?! Of Course writing is a form of art!! And it should be treated and respected as such!

Do you have any idea the lengths I go through to make all my horrifically long posts pretty and legible?!

Not to mention the fact that all the great authors of time. Shakespear, Dante, Orson Scott Card, Homer, etc, are consider artists! It really pains me to see someone even question whether or not writing is art! Is not the purpose of all art to evoke emotion to teach it's audience something which it did not know, either about themselves or the world at large.

Reading things is a way of experiencing them, through books and pages, and more recently the internet, we learn or feel things which we normally never would've encountered in our own lives, either through circumstance or simple probability. Tales have lessons, morals, stories have plots or points, everything written was done so with the intention of telling the reader something, those who become best practiced at The Art of Writing simply become better at showing us what they have to say.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by archiesangel 2/15/2010, 9:04 am

Of course writing is an art! Even looking at it from a musical point of view someone has to write the music or the lyrics to the songs or pieces.
archiesangel
archiesangel

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 2/15/2010, 9:18 am

Embarassed

I can see I've struck a nerve. Sorry, Deceiver.

It's just... I was genuinely surprised when Karma said my writing makes me an artist. I've never been called that, or even fleetingly considered myself one. So, I was just wondering if I was the only uninformed person person on this site of this opinion.

Apparently, I was.

Again, sorry for any emotional pain that this thread has caused you. If it makes you feel any better, look at my signature. I've "seen the light," if you will. :D

-Snow
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next