DC Comics Fanbase
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Artist or Scientist?

+8
SnowFallsSlow
Vandal
Xenophobic Sponge
archiesangel
chucklenut47
Music_Hero2779
hotspot
Fishing4Infinity
12 posters

Go down

An Artist or Scientist? Empty An Artist or Scientist?

Post by Fishing4Infinity 4/6/2010, 10:02 am

It seems that I've been having some internal conflict lately, especially now that I'm in college and its time for me to make decisions that will affect me my whole life. And I just wanted to see everyone's opinions on this subject.

The question that I have for you my dear friends is, do you consider yourself an artist or a scientist? What do you define yourself as? Are you a creative individual, or are you someone that must study something to fully understand it?

Am I making sense? Hell if I know, life can be quite confusing at times...
Fishing4Infinity
Fishing4Infinity

Back to top Go down

An Artist or Scientist? Empty Re: An Artist or Scientist?

Post by hotspot 4/6/2010, 3:34 pm

Definitely an artist, I don't know nothing about science.
hotspot
hotspot

http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Dark_Horizon/

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Hero2779 4/6/2010, 4:32 pm

Science is an art, just as art is a science. Like studying the science of an art. The way colors mix, why they do and how it forms other colors. So I guess I'm a sciencist. But I study art. ^_^
Music_Hero2779
Music_Hero2779

http://www.kaminthestars.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chucklenut47 4/6/2010, 4:56 pm

It's funny how both studying something and being creative can intertwine so well... I consider myself on both ends of the spectrum XD
chucklenut47
chucklenut47

Back to top Go down

Post by archiesangel 4/6/2010, 5:36 pm

Artist =)
archiesangel
archiesangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 4/6/2010, 9:34 pm

Music_Hero2779 wrote:Science is an art, just as art is a science. Like studying the science of an art. The way colors mix, why they do and how it forms other colors. So I guess I'm a sciencist. But I study art. ^_^

While I agree that Science could be considered an art forum by people, I don't think the opposite is true. Science and scientific results need to be able to be replicated, where as a good piece of art should be one of a kind.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishing4Infinity 4/6/2010, 9:45 pm

True...

I'm just still confused on what I am. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love art and love to draw and take pictures and create and such. But, I also love to explore! To discover new things and get down to the structures and logic of things.

But, do I want to be a Biologist? Or do I want to be an Artist? The time for choosing, it seems, has come, but I can't seem to make up my mind! Stress stress, whine whine, complain complain, insomnia.... GAraljgb;jasdbg;alsdgadfbhadf.....

Thats me b*tching about stuff, sorry >_<
Fishing4Infinity
Fishing4Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Hero2779 4/6/2010, 10:03 pm

Xenophobic Sponge wrote:
Music_Hero2779 wrote:Science is an art, just as art is a science. Like studying the science of an art. The way colors mix, why they do and how it forms other colors. So I guess I'm a sciencist. But I study art. ^_^

While I agree that Science could be considered an art forum by people, I don't think the opposite is true. Science and scientific results need to be able to be replicated, where as a good piece of art should be one of a kind.
But neither are perfect. Scienific expirements are all just mistakes. Their results don't need to be replicated, improved insted. Isn't that how art is? Start with a cricle, add some lines, erase some more, add again, and finially you have what you want. Then if you like it, you draw it again. Or for aliving, cartoons for example. Same cartoon picture, improved everytime, like moving an arm or leg, making it talk, or even dance.

And Karm, for biology you could draw out what your studying. It's living things right? Bio that is? Corect me if I'm wrong.
Music_Hero2779
Music_Hero2779

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 4/7/2010, 3:07 am

Well you can try both. You can apply for science and all that good stuff and actually learn and explore. Art to be honest doesn't need schools to teach you. All you really need to do is just practice at it.

It takes 10,000 hours to perfect an art. Even then you still don't know if you'll make it big in the art world.

I'd definately go with science Bron. Art can be a hobby. Earn a little cash here and there.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowFallsSlow 4/7/2010, 9:39 am

I have to agree with Mercy, but only because my dad is still trying to cram the idea of "you can't be happy without money" down my throat. If you're good at science, by all means, go for it. BUT! Only do so if you enjoy it.

And, on the side of "art," no one taught me how to write. (Yes, I was taught to hold a pencil and make letters and how to string words together in a complete thought.) But, I have no idea about the technical stuff, really. Someone asked me how many adjectives I should use in one sentence, and I had no idea. 0.0 I don't even really know what an adjective is.

What I'm trying to say is, art is the release of creativity. You, of all people, shouldn't need someone else to teach you how to be creative. So, go for science, which is a subject that actually needs learning.

I'm done rambling now, I promise. :3
SnowFallsSlow
SnowFallsSlow
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 4/7/2010, 1:48 pm

Just for the record. I consider myself more sciency than artistic.

However

I also believe that the two are not mutually exclusive, and in fact have facts to support this. For example if you take any of the great artists throughout history. Davinchi being my personal favorite, but there were others. All of these great artists used math in their art. Davinchi I happen to know also invented things, such as the world's first helicopter. It worked too it just only went up and down and was really hard on your legs.

It was during this great Renaissance of art and science when things truly grew and changed. The idea of prospective art was first developed, not only because it was a good artistic element, but because it was mathematically sound. Your great artists of the era, were often also your great mathematicians of the era. They didn't just know how to draw something, they knew why they should draw something a certain way, thanks to math.

In addition I myself am currently enrolled in Multimedia Design & Production, aka 3D art. But guess what, since making things with these computer programs requires a basic understanding of the programs, science is very helpful. Not to mention the scientific method can be applied to just about anything even art.

Heck when you take art classes they express idea through science. How different colors relate to each other, how objects of a piece of art create a sense of balance or any of the various other elements of art.

Science is the process through which we master everything! Even Art cannot escape it's mighty clutches!

All hail the overlord of Science! Hail hail hail!
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 4/8/2010, 3:16 am

On a side note, I can major in Chemistry and still learn art without the $30,000 art major.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain 4/8/2010, 11:04 am

Shouldn't this thread be under 'questions?'
Rain
Rain

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Hero2779 4/8/2010, 3:28 pm

Rain_of_Tears wrote:Shouldn't this thread be under 'questions?'
Well science and/or art can/could be called lifestyles.
Music_Hero2779
Music_Hero2779

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 4/8/2010, 3:55 pm

Rain_of_Tears wrote:Shouldn't this thread be under 'questions?'
Its good where it is Rain, don't fret.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain 4/8/2010, 4:29 pm

Lol, idc. I'm just saying that it's a question.
Rain
Rain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinisa 4/8/2010, 7:58 pm

Both, for me. For you, Karm, I'd suggest whatever makes you happiest. Or, you could just do both. Whether you do one as a career or a hobby, it doesn't matter. Hopefully, you're life will be long enough for you to try and experience both.

Logic and creativity work best together, not alone, if you ask me. Because, without a little imagination and creativity, I doubt some of our most famous scientists, philosophers, thinkers could've come up with any theories that turned out to be true.

And, although not as much, creativity relies on logic a bit as well. Some artists like to weave logic, ideas and facts into their work. Visual art sometimes has double images. Look at it one way, see this. Look another, see that. There must've been some thought behind that, right? Written art is somewhat self explanatory, books based on real life events, etc.

But now I'm rambling. x] So whatever you decide to do, Karm, go for it, they're a tons of great opportunities beyond simply "Logic" vs "Creativity". There are other jobs to look at, other ideas to check out.

Life's for the living! And lord knows we all get enough chances to do that.
Rinisa
Rinisa
Global Mod
Global Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RustleXer 4/29/2010, 3:49 am

haha sorta the same for me... it's like either become a musician or follow in my parents footsteps and become a lawyer :S
RustleXer
RustleXer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down