DC Comics Fanbase
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What this is for

+5
Xenophobic Sponge
Corvus31
Vandal
Loki
TheDeceiverGod
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What this is for Empty What this is for

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/10/2011, 3:06 pm

Since roll playing has become such a popular thing here on the forum, and since yours truly has recently discovered that this forum comes with Dice-Rolling capabilities (you may have noticed when you post a new message beneath the attach file feed there's a dice roll feed) and after having discussed it with the other administrators, and coming to the conclusion that the regular Role Playing thread is already so popular and so crowded that it didn't make sense to clutter it up more with Role plays which those of our members who either have no desire to play in (as forum-based dice role playing is new even to me.) or simply have an aversion to, (as with the rolling of dice comes a certain measure of chaos and math.) It simply made more sense to create this area specifically for Dice-Based Role plays.

As a quick overview since some of you may not know. The dice I've added into the forum's rolling mechanism are named after their number of sides, such that D6 is a standard six sided die, while a D20 is the twenty sided die. All of them run from 1-X where X is their number of sides. Such that if you roll a D4 you have a one in four chance of getting a one, a two, a three, or a four. While if you roll a D20 you have a 1/20 chance to get any number between 1-20.

More specific rules for rolling dice will come with the first ever Dice Rolling Rp, which I hope to have organized within the season.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What this is for Empty Re: What this is for

Post by Vandal 1/11/2011, 11:44 am

Okay, just testing to see how this works. I rolled a 6 sided die and a 20 sided. Really am looking forward to this. I'm thinking this is like a way to spice the RPs up.

I'm also assuming we have to come up with certain levels or what not to determine how much damage our characters do or take.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki 1/11/2011, 11:44 am

The member 'Mercy' has done the following action : Dice rolls

#1 'D6' : 2

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 1
Loki
Loki
Admin
Admin

https://titans.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/11/2011, 1:07 pm

See why can you see those and not me? Is there some space I'm not looking at right that will show the rolls?

And yes, you're absolutely right Mercy, I've been mulling over that very question.

Standard D&D rules for improvement of things take you're "Ability Modifier" which is based off the dominate ability, Agility, Endurance Etc, of the skill you're using (D&D characters all know how to do everything, just those with higher X are better at it) but the rolls are calculated Ability Modifier + 1/2 level +additional bonuses/penalties. I was debating just removing the whole level thing since a level one "Robin" shouldn't really be any different than a level 10 "Robin" but then there should be some difference between Robin and Batman, and I just wasn't sure if people really wanted to deal with experience points, or how to hand those out like, at all.

D&D rules use 6 statistics, if I remember right, Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence Wisdom and Charisma, each favoring different skills or abilities.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 1/11/2011, 2:48 pm

Wait.. You can't see my rolls? I got a one and a two. Hm, well looks like we'll have to find a way to make it visible..

Also I believe we should figure a way to level up. I don't think Robin was as good when he first joined Batman to when he left Batman for the Titans. So let's say he was a level 1 Robin when he started and a level 10 when he left, but no matter how much you train a Robin he can never surpass Batman. The problem is how to distribute experience points and when you have enough experience to level up.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/11/2011, 3:28 pm

Agreed on both counts.
As far as when you have enough to XP to reach the next level that's a fairly simple problem that I could answer just by whipping up an equation that basically says. Level 1 X=Xp Level 2 Xp=F(X) Level 3 Xp=F(F(X)) and so forth.

The real question is how to a lot experience, because yeah every fight with Mammoth or someone Robin gets a little better but after a certain point catching cat-buglers is going to become old hat. Plus I haven't read the D&D Dungeon Master's guide just yet and that's where it explains it's XP system.

Just to double check. I am rolling 2D20 and 1D6 with this post.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki 1/11/2011, 3:28 pm

The member 'TheDeceiverGod' has done the following action : Dice rolls

#1 'D20' : 15, 20

#2 'D6' : 6
Loki
Loki
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/11/2011, 3:30 pm

Ohhh okay. The ultimate Admin posts the member's dice rolls. I thought Odin was just doing that to be smart... that could really clutter up a thread, but it's not a bad idea either. Members can edit their posts, but not his.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvus31 1/12/2011, 9:50 am

Cool! this will definately be a great first dice based rp. customization, stats, and luck of the roll stat vs stat dice roll fights. soo....when the rp is up 'n' running how do you roll the dice? And how do we keep track of our stats and modify them?
Corvus31
Corvus31

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 1/12/2011, 3:37 pm

If you guys are looking to play DnD or another dice based RPG, I really don't recommend using a post by post method, it really really gets bogged down with questions. I had a single fight take over two weeks once, it was ridiculous. It will drive your DM/GM mad.

Gametable was a great solution for the group I play with online. It allows for a lot of versatility.

Also, what version of DnD will you guys be using? 4 is a lot of fun, and great for beginners since it's super streamlined. The downside is that everything about it requires a tileset like Gametable to work. Every ability and power uses tile spaces as it's source of measurement.

Even still, I'd highly recommend 4ed to new players.

Barring that, 3.5 edition is good, but far more complicated for new players and DM's. The upside to it is, of course, that all the basic rules for it are Available online, for free since the game system is considered open source.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/12/2011, 3:50 pm

While we are intending to base our rule system strongly off the D&D forth edition. I hope to bastardize it enough to eliminate most of the trouble caused from the lack of a mat, and such.

My ultimate goal here is to come up with a D&D 4th based rule system to allow for Teen Titan characters to be played using the basics of D&D minus the game mat, the list of 'powers' and any other rules I deem to be superfluous or too difficult to transfer into forum based Role Playing.

PS: It's really starting to feel like people aren't listening to me again... I've been slaving over a hot thread that even opens with and I quote
TheDeceiverGod wrote: While I think it's been decided that for the up coming Dice RP we shall be using a bastard set of rules to be devised by yours truly, but I plan on drawing heavily from D&D's 4th edition. Not only do I have access to them, but they recently simplified, and I can be reasonable assured that they'll work.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 1/12/2011, 4:54 pm

I don't quite get how you're going to be able to work with 4ed, it's pretty much as simplified as it's going to get while still having something interesting to it.

After you get rid of the game mat, the powers, and the other things (I'm assuming healing surges, magic items, the majority of feats since they are class specific) you'll have what? Basic Melee/Ranged attacks and Skills?

You might be better off just making your own system from scratch or using a d20m or GURPS game system already made for super hero characters.

EDIT: In my defense, that other thread is in an area of the forum I never go to, since I don't play RPG's here so have no reason to go to the finished RPGs subfoum.

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/12/2011, 6:59 pm

Yeah... I'm not entirely happy with 'utilities' sharing space with finished rpgs, but that's neither here nor there.

I've actually been planning on trying to make a Teen Titans dice RPG for some time as a labor of love. I have a good deal of work put into This and intend to do basically what you're saying.

The idea is that I keep as much of D&D as I can. The skills, combat advantages, a healthy amount of the 'Rogue' feats and powers are going in for characters like Robin & Batman, as well as weapons being altered. I figure "Shurakin" is close enough to 'Batarang' to be servicable, and a dozen other things, while at the same time, generating our own 'powers' for the canon characters. Though I'll be probably the only one doing the generating, and Mercy and I are on the fence about OCs because of that. If you look through the link, you'll see I've already mocked up a good amount of rules/powers/whatevers for the Titans, and supplementing that with the D&D skills and combat system as well as a few rules for long distance traveling. I hope to have something that will resemble D&D and Teen Titans, while not explicitly being either of them.

The main problem currently being faced is the Powers/Feats, since D&D just gives you a huge list of them for classes or characters or whatever, replicating that for DC heroes may be a problem, but as previously stated. I already have some for a number of people across the link a little advanced editing and they should work fine.
My main problem is the bloody levels... Mercy wants characters that can level up, and I have to agree with her it is something that should be included, it just means I'm going to have to write up abilities for characters to get at levels 1-X. Not that I won't love doing that, it just means I'm going to be busy busy busy.

But you all are going to love the result! If you don't I will force feed it to you so hard it won't come out the other end EVER! Twisted Evil

PS: oh and Corvus.
TheDeceiverGod wrote:and since yours truly has recently discovered that this forum comes with Dice-Rolling capabilities (you may have noticed when you post a new message beneath the attach file feed there's a dice roll feed)

It was in the first post of this thread! Come on man you're harshin' my groove.

PPS: and I'm not actually 100% on whether or not to remove surges, items (we could just rewrite most of them) and like I said I intend to take a large number of Martial powers at very least for the more hand-to-hand heroes like Robin Nightwing Batman and Deathstroke. Any suggestions as to what to take and what to leave, advice on what powers to take or which ones to leave, or even how to rewrite things to make them more applicable/useful/whatever I'd be happy to hear. Keep in mind I have the Player's Handbook 1 & 2 Dungeon Master's Guide 1 and Monster Manuel 1 for 4th edition so I can reference those if you're not 100% on the wording of a power or something.
I'm really hurting on how to apply 'Experience' since heroes don't necessarily fight hordes of monsters or go on 'quests' like adventurers do.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenophobic Sponge 1/12/2011, 8:09 pm

When I DM, I don't even follow experience tables, because I reward Roleplay and quick thinking way more than black and white who wins what fight.

If you do want to come up with Experience tables for this though, you can probably steal from 4ed there. Creating encounter levels and DMing in general is a million times easier in 4ed. I'd just assume that the vast majority of enemies people would fight would be Solo Brutes, or possibly just regual enemy types of a higher adjusted level. EXP would stay the same that way.

4ed goes up to level 30 though, which may be a leeeeeeeeetle bit high.

Also, just noticed the dice roller for the forum doesn't have d3 or percentile options, any way to add that? Both are used fairly often in pen and paper role plays. (Call of Cthulhu comes to mind)

Xenophobic Sponge

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/12/2011, 8:32 pm

The problem is that I'm not expecting many 'encounters' per say. More skirmishes between hero player characters and villain player characters. With maybe a few random hench-people thrown in.

Another problem with the 'levels' is that there needs to be some sort of basic line from Condiment King to Superman. While Condiment King would probably be pretty bad at most things, Superman is virtually a deity.

And, a D3? A three sided Die is a practical impossibility in our reality? But I could add one easy enough. But percentile options, I could add a 100 sided die, but the roller here is pretty basic, just a 1-X sides random number generator I don't think it allows for less than 1 values, integers only I'm afraid.

Though right now I'm working over how to deal with Jumps Climbs and Swims without the use of a dungeon mat or move speeds. I'm think for Jumps and Climbs we say that a 6' character could Jump or Climb 6' +(6* however much greater their roll was than the DC of their action). So if say you're climbing something with a 15 DC and you roll a 17 you can climb twelve feet in that post, although that would require players knowing the results of their rolls before they post and the mechanism here doesn't show the results of the roll until after you've posted. *headdesk.*
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quickfeather 1/12/2011, 11:35 pm

Actually, three sided dice are completely possible, and are used.

What this is for Pbdice

Also, I don't see how much of this could work without a way someone could see their dice role before their post. Like the chatbox dice roller.

Quickfeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/12/2011, 11:42 pm

Ah, see those aren't actually three sided shapes. They're just uneven die. They technically have five faces.

But this could work fine. I mean most of what we're going to be rolling for is for other people to see anyway, an attack roll when you initiate the attack, if it's higher than your target's AC than they can respond with their character getting hit, though we might need people to roll for damage and attack at the same time just to keep things simple, (we can ignore the damage roll if it turns out that the attack roll isn't high enough to hit. What's more annoying is that I don't actually see anyway to include bonuses in the roll, which could be really really annoying since everyone would end up having to remember everyone else's bonuses rather than just their own. Though I'm debating using the Forum's character sheets for the Dice role play that would make it really difficult for people to participate in more than one.

This whole thing just keeps getting more and more complicated. I wish this forum had a decent Dice rolling mechanism built into it like they do over at http://rpol.net/
But you know what they say about coveting...

Currently my best idea is to have people begin actions on the post they roll in, and end actions on the post after their roll. No one really goes "And then I hit him" in posts anyway, or at least they shouldn't I've taught you guys better than that. (They should be going "And then I threw a punch")
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corvus31 1/13/2011, 10:30 am

oh i see it now! sorry TDG....

Corvus31
Corvus31

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki 1/13/2011, 10:30 am

The member 'Corvus31' has done the following action : Dice rolls

'D8' : 1
Loki
Loki
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/13/2011, 3:47 pm

Yep see there you go.

Now then on more related matters, I think I've figured out how to get the rolling to actually work the way I will need it to work. We're just going to have to do what I was going to have the potential players on the site where I first started building a Teen Titans Dice Game do.

And that is to 'Declare' your rolls.

What that means is that whenever you're rolling for something you will at the end of your post add a hard rule
Code:
[hr]

and on the other side of it you will post the equation for your roll result, without knowing what the actual roll is.

That means that if say you were to be rolling a D20 for something which you had a +5 bonus and a - 2 penalty your post would look like this

Sample Post wrote:PostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPost.

(1D20) +5 -2

That way when you roll 1 D20 and 'Odin' tells you us all what your roll was, we can all do the math. I'll be trusting everyone to be honest about their modifiers, but keep in mind that once the game actually starts I'll be checking your first few rolls intimately against your character sheets (a format for which will be forth coming have patience) so there's no real reason to fudge or cheat or whatever other than to annoy me, which is just generally a bad idea.

However, I would like to point out that if you are making multiple rolls with the same sort of die that are for different rolls (IE an attack roll & a damage roll) do not, do not tell the forum to roll 2D20 unless one of your rolls actually asks for two twenty sided dice. This is to keep things stream lining, as you may have noticed 'Odin' will post different rolls on different lines, so if you're rolling 1 d20 for an attack roll and 1 d20 for a damage roll, enter the D20 twice. The result will be 'Odin' posting two lines each showing the roll for 1 D20 each. We will correlate these to the order you declared your rolls. IE if you declared your attack roll in your post before you damage roll, than the result for your attack roll will be the D20 result on the first line of 'Odins' following post, and the second line will be your damage roll.

(1d20)+5-2
(1d20)+3

Now because I like to keep things simple and the simplest way to do anything is for the most flexible part of the process to do most of the work, I suggest we also require 2.5 other things from players when posting in a Dice RP.

The two of which are fairly simple, just your current health/your maximum health, and your current (Mana/Stamina/Energy The name is to be decide yet) out of your maximum whatever after a hard rule in your post.

That would look like this.

[quote="Sample Post #2] PostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPost.

100/100 Health
100/100 Whatever
[/quote]

I would like it if players were to declare their stats on every post. This lets us keep intimate track of these important stats and if someone makes a mistake (or cheats) we'll have a digital record of every step and anyone following the RP can correct them.

The third half a thing is a little more complicated.

If you're rolling something that is opposed by a non-variable. IE if you're climbing a wall and the wall has a known Difficulty Class of 15. Then I will ask that player's declare that as well during their post.

Sample Post #3 wrote:PostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostClimbingPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPost

(1D20)+5 To Beat 15

That way, whomever posts after you will be able to know exactly whether or not your character succeeded in their attempt.

However, if you're posting something that is to be opposed by another character's roll. IE you're sneaking around and someone has a chance to spot you (Sneak Vs. Perception). Then you will Not roll for the other player.

Sample Post #4 wrote:PostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostSneakingPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPostPost

(1D20)+3

The other player will roll for their opposing skill, or be considered to be taking 10 (they roll a ten plus their modifiers).

This means that any action requiring an Opposing Roll will take a minimum of three posts to complete. I know that sounds like a lot but really in the grand scheme of roll plays that have 8 threads with 63 pages of posts each that's a drop in the bucket.

That being said, once you lose an Opposing Roll, you lost, either you're detected or your golden, either you saw them or you didn't. Even if they continue the action in their next post they will not be required to roll again For That Character. If someone new enters the scene. IE Beast is spying on Raven in her room, and Raven failed the Perception check to discover him, but then Robin walks in. Then they will be required to roll for the new character(s), but only them. Beast Boy will have to roll a new Stealth Check to be opposed by Robin's Perception Check. Regardless of the result Beast Boy is considered Hidden from Raven until he does something stupid like turn into a gazelle or knock over a spell book or something obvious like that that might draw her attention. If Robin's Perception Check is greater than Beast Boy's Stealth Check than Robin sees Beast Boy, Raven does not. Robin can alert Raven to the fact Beast Boy is spying on her, but as long as he does not, Beast Boy is Hidden from Raven. Understand?

This extends to scenes where one or more characters might be hiding/bluffing/whatevering one or more characters. Once you've successfully rolled against one character you don't have to roll for them (for that action) ever again. Robin could stay hidden underneath the Hive breakfast table indefinitely if he won all the initial rolls and didn't try anything else, but if he were to say, open his communicator to call the other Titans, he would have to roll again for Stealth to see if the Hive people around him hear him/his communicator.

Last edited by TheDeceiverGod on 1/13/2011, 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki 1/13/2011, 3:47 pm

The member 'TheDeceiverGod' has done the following action : Dice rolls

#1 'D20' : 20

#2 'D20' : 5
Loki
Loki
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/13/2011, 3:47 pm

^See I would've rolled a 20 plus/minus my modifiers for attack, and a 5 plus/minus my modifiers for damage.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 1/13/2011, 5:02 pm

Yeah dude sorry but I have been putting off reading the 27 condensed post. I admit it. But I did try to read it, it is actually really confusing. I'll read it and if I have questions I'll talk to you about it.
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod 1/13/2011, 6:58 pm

Feel free to pm me any time, any of you. And I don't actually intend to use those rules for the game just for reference I'll be putting the full dice rules up in the first of the actual thread once I have actually gotten them all worked out.
TheDeceiverGod
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal 1/13/2011, 9:50 pm

Wait so the 27 pages you condenses is a reference? I did read some and read about choosing races and the like... I guess that makes more sense, though official rules still have yet to be established?
Vandal
Vandal
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Disclaimer
Our DC Comics Fanbase community does not own any copywritten material owned by DC Comics Inc. All rights are reserved to the owners.