DC Comics Fanbase
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major DC Comics Shakeup

+3
~Angel~
Riaaanna
Azrael
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Major DC Comics Shakeup Empty Major DC Comics Shakeup

Post by Azrael 9/9/2009, 6:37 pm

Big news today and arguably not the good kind.

Paul Levitz is out as Publisher of DC Comics and back in a writing capacity; after seven years being the top dog in DC, this comes as a shock.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-levitz-statement.html

Also, DC has now been restructured. The company itself is now under the umbrella of a group called "DC Entertainment". Warner Brothers seems like they'll be taking a firmer hand in things, looking to take advantage of the DC brands in the other forms of entertainment.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-DC-Restructuring.html

Not sure how I feel about it. I prefer WB keeping their mitts out of the comics. As long as that happens I suppose I'm fine with this. DC Entertainment answers directly to WB.

As far as the old AS goes, the odds of bringing it back probably just got even longer. Much of this restructuring looks to be in the vein of looking forward and maximizing dollar potential through new stuff. Resurrecting old shows doesn't fit into that.

Paul Levitz is writing comics again, so I suppose there's something positive to take out of all this.

There may be positive though.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/090909-levitz-nelson-dc-entertainment.html

Some previous moves - such as getting Geoff Johns, Marv Wolfman and Grant Morrison involved in movie projects - appears to have been the first step made in getting the pro's involved on new DC Entertainment. Same for Paul Dini working on the Batman: Arkham Asylum game. They're looking to continue in that capacity.

Hopefully this is all good stuff and not bad news.

Last edited by Azrael on 9/9/2009, 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Major DC Comics Shakeup Empty Re: Major DC Comics Shakeup

Post by Riaaanna 9/9/2009, 6:57 pm

Forgive me for my limits of knowledge and understanding, Azrael, but can you summarize the news and what impact it will make for our project? I apologize again XD
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Angel~ 9/9/2009, 7:06 pm

If we are lucky he will make new tt comics or not i'm just not for sure I don't really think so but who nows maybe it will be based on the animated show.
~Angel~
~Angel~

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/9/2009, 7:10 pm

Alright.

Basically, WB is looking to take a bigger hand in utilizing DC's franchises. Old staff are out. New staff are in. They're basically looking to move forward with new projects.

They've been preparing for this move for a while now. WB has scrapped several films that were in development looking to start fresh with this initiative, as we now know. They've positioned legends like Marv Wolfman and future legends like Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns with direct involvement with the film projects.

What does this mean? WB is looking to start with a rather fresh slate. Old projects have been scrapped and rebooted. New projects seem to be on the rise. This seems to be the bottom line of things after WB took great notice of the success of superhero films last year.

What does it mean for the project? Well, they don't seem to be taking any prisoners here. They've scrapped long in development feature films they've put money in which they could easily have cashed in far more cash than a reboot of an old show ever could. It sounds like they're pretty firmly putting the past - and past projects - in the rearview mirror.

So long story short, the odd's of the project getting anywhere just got worse.

If we are lucky he will make new tt comics or not i'm just not for sure I don't really think so but who nows maybe it will be based on the animated show.
Doubt it. They had one. It was barely selling three thousand copies a month near it's end. It's not profitable.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by SylverBluTitan 9/9/2009, 8:55 pm

Hmm, a revamp of everything. I do believe you mentioned it in one of our convos, Az. But if they have Wolfman at least working with the new projects, seeing as I personally know his work is good, then maybe this DC Entertainment deal won't be so bad. I'll go back and read those links to get a better feel for exactly what they're doing with DC. But, as you said, I don't think WB really needs to start sticking their fingers in the comics. DC has been doing fine itself with its comics for how long?
SylverBluTitan
SylverBluTitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/9/2009, 9:04 pm

The vibe I'm getting as I've been looking around and checking reports on this stuff is that this new initiative might be leaving well enough alone in regard to the comics. DC's been doing good under the current regime. EIC Dan DiDio has been doing a remarkable job of getting stellar creative teams on books - take Gail Simone, the most prominent female comic writer, on Wonder Woman for example - and pumping up sales.

If that's really what's going on, I'm fine with that. As long as DC is left to do what they've been doing in comics I'm fine with this restructuring. Not keen on Paul Levitz being out as Publisher and President of DC Comics, but it will be nice to have him writing comics again.

Either way, the big thing changed by this are the other entertainment venues; shows, movies and such.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by SylverBluTitan 9/9/2009, 10:24 pm

So this has a better chance of ending up good for the fans, since the comics for one are being left alone, except they're getting a new publisher. And two, there's a big prospect of more and different media to be placed on the table.

It all sounds good to me. Especially if they start pumping out good movies. ;P
SylverBluTitan
SylverBluTitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/9/2009, 11:15 pm

SylverBluTitan wrote:So this has a better chance of ending up good for the fans, since the comics for one are being left alone, except they're getting a new publisher. And two, there's a big prospect of more and different media to be placed on the table.

Yes, there's a good chance this might end up better for the fans. They've mentioned the Batman: Arkham Asylum game as the kind of projects they're looking at and continuing in that vein. Also, WB purchased video game creator Midway a couple months back. It looks like the signs that WB was looking to expand it's superhero stuff was there for a while; Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe was a pretty good success, so WB seems like they want more of that.

WB's mentioned in the past that they're looking at replicating the shared film universe approach Marvel's taken. So it sounds like WB's not kidding around.

The only thing I'm waiting for is confirmation on whether or not the comics portion will be more or less left alone; if it is, I supposed I'm cautiously optimistic and all for it.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by SylverBluTitan 9/9/2009, 11:55 pm

Azrael wrote:
SylverBluTitan wrote:So this has a better chance of ending up good for the fans, since the comics for one are being left alone, except they're getting a new publisher. And two, there's a big prospect of more and different media to be placed on the table.

Yes, there's a good chance this might end up better for the fans. They've mentioned the Batman: Arkham Asylum game as the kind of projects they're looking at and continuing in that vein. Also, WB purchased video game creator Midway a couple months back. It looks like the signs that WB was looking to expand it's superhero stuff was there for a while; Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe was a pretty good success, so WB seems like they want more of that.

WB's mentioned in the past that they're looking at replicating the shared film universe approach Marvel's taken. So it sounds like WB's not kidding around.

The only thing I'm waiting for is confirmation on whether or not the comics portion will be more or less left alone; if it is, I supposed I'm cautiously optimistic and all for it.

Awesomeness. >: )

That game? I've seen a demo. Looks effing amazing. Makes me wish I played videogames. But I'm rather...how do I say it...videogame stupid would be the nicer, better way to put it. LOL

Right, right. Caution about that part. Lol. Well, when you hear something about it, let me know. I'd like to make sure the comic side of everything will remain the same so I'm not getting in the middle of a bad transition in the beginning of my comic book junky, uh, cereer? -Shrug- Meh, why not?
SylverBluTitan
SylverBluTitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Naked Snake 9/10/2009, 12:43 am

OH MY GOD THIS MEANS TT IS COMING BACK DOESN'T IT OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry; nobody'd said it yet, so I thought...
Naked Snake
Naked Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/10/2009, 12:48 am

Naked Snake wrote:OH MY GOD THIS MEANS TT IS COMING BACK DOESN'T IT OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha.

Your toolishness amuses me my friend.

That game? I've seen a demo. Looks effing amazing. Makes me wish I played videogames. But I'm rather...how do I say it...videogame stupid would be the nicer, better way to put it. LOL
It's worth learning to play games for. I mean, it's Batman.

I'm Batman. @__@

*forum explodes*

... Oops.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/10/2009, 1:23 am

The Professor wrote:
Azrael wrote:I'm Batman.

I knew it.
N-no you didn't!

Dammit. I need to work on this secret identity thing.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by Riaaanna 9/10/2009, 6:26 am

Naked Snake wrote:OH MY GOD THIS MEANS TT IS COMING BACK DOESN'T IT OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...?
Riaaanna
Riaaanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylor 9/10/2009, 7:34 am

Azrael wrote:Big news today and arguably not the good kind.

Paul Levitz is out as Publisher of DC Comics and back in a writing capacity; after seven years being the top dog in DC, this comes as a shock.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-levitz-statement.html

Also, DC has now been restructured. The company itself is now under the umbrella of a group called "DC Entertainment". Warner Brothers seems like they'll be taking a firmer hand in things, looking to take advantage of the DC brands in the other forms of entertainment.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-DC-Restructuring.html

Not sure how I feel about it. I prefer WB keeping their mitts out of the comics. As long as that happens I suppose I'm fine with this. DC Entertainment answers directly to WB.
I have to disagree...how is this a bad thing? From everything I've seen, most of DC's entire "print" universe has been in pretty sorry shape for...well, for a number of years now, frankly. But from what I've gathered the downward slide has really picked up speed ever since the Infinite Crisis.

In fact, I'd venture to say that the DCAU as a whole has arguably maintained much higher standards of quality, consistently, than the print comics have for most of the same time period -- going all the way back to the "first" Batman Animated Series in the early '90s. But whether or not you agree with that, I can't help but view a change of direction for DC as a whole -- again, given their current/recent state -- as potentially more of a good thing, than a bad one.

On a somewhat related topic...does anyone know what the current status of the live-action TT movie that was being planned a couple years ago might be? The one that Mark Verheiden was writing? Neutral

Last edited by Cylor on 9/10/2009, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cylor
Cylor

http://sincronos.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Angel~ 9/10/2009, 9:00 am

The Professor wrote:
Azrael wrote:
The Professor wrote:

I knew it.
N-no you didn't!

Dammit. I need to work on this secret identity thing.

I wish to be the Terry to your Bruce.

Um.....XD.
~Angel~
~Angel~

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Angel~ 9/10/2009, 9:01 am

This is very interesting I wonder what comic they are making.
~Angel~
~Angel~

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/10/2009, 9:21 am

I have to disagree...how is this a bad thing? From everything I've seen, most of DC's entire "print" universe has been in pretty sorry shape for...well, for a number of years now, frankly. But from what I've gathered the downward slide has really picked up speed ever since the Infinite Crisis.
... Infinite Crisis was four years ago. Since then there have been a lot of fantastic comics. DC's quality output hasn't been this good in a long, long time. OYL was a bust, yes, but comics are always moving forward and the dark periods are quickly left in the lurch.

The truth of the matter is this; comic fanboys are whiners. Just like fandoms for just about anything else. That's the real issue here. Quality has been high for years now and some series benefited from the soft reboot of Infinite Crisis. Hell, even during and after Infinite Crisis there were good titles. Fanboy's will NEVER be pleased, especially if they have a pet character (Arsenal, Lillith, whomever) they feel has been abused or whatever. If you think the DC Universe is in sorry shape, you haven't been reading.

In fact, I'd venture to say that the DCAU as a whole has arguably maintained much higher standards of quality, consistently, than the print comics have for most of the same time period -- going all the way back to the "first" Batman Animated Series in the early '90s. But whether or not you agree with that, I can't help but view a change of direction for DC as a whole -- again, given their current/recent state -- as potentially more of a good thing, than a bad one.
The DCAU's been gone for a while now. Justice League was the last cartoon of the universe. And it's been gone for years. The DCAU also had one - maybe two - shows going at any one time to keep tabs on and quality high. That's not the kind of deal you have to work with in comics and it's pretty unfair to compare the quality of the overall universes based on that.

Anyways, I'd have agreed if it was kept strictly to the 90's. That decade is not one of the high points in the long history of comics. But right now? No freaking way man.

Also, I'm confused here. You're judging DC and the state it's in on what was happening in comics... four years ago? Not a good plan man.

It doesn't matter either way. I've been reading more reports. It seems DC Comics isn't going to be touched much; this is more affecting the other entertainment venues, like animation and films. So relief on my end.

On a somewhat related topic...does anyone know what the current status of the live-action TT movie that was being planned a couple years ago might be? The one that Mark Verheiden was writing?
It's dead Jim.

That was one of the films that was shut down and recalled to prepare for this new "DC Entertainment" deal. WB's been quietly shunting off several of these films to the grave so they could start fresh. The live action Teen Titans film is one of them.

A shame; I like Mark Verhieden and his work, as I've read quite a few of his comics (his Predator comics are my favorites), so I was kind of looking forward to whatever he was doing with the film.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by SylverBluTitan 9/10/2009, 12:40 pm

Ahahahaha! Well, someone needed to I guess. XD

Azrael wrote:It's worth learning to play games for. I mean, it's Batman.
True. I think I will.. Not like my videogame geek little brother can't help his videogame-specially-challenged sister accomplish this for the sake of Batman. I mean, it IS Batman! Reason enough.

NO WAI!!!! =O That's amazing!

Then I'm Wonder Woman. But no one else is supposed to know that.

XD

-Dodges any rotten foods thrown for that comment-
SylverBluTitan
SylverBluTitan

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Angel~ 9/10/2009, 12:43 pm

SylverBluTitan wrote:

Ahahahaha! Well, someone needed to I guess. XD

Azrael wrote:It's worth learning to play games for. I mean, it's Batman.
True. I think I will.. Not like my videogame geek little brother can't help his videogame-specially-challenged sister accomplish this for the sake of Batman. I mean, it IS Batman! Reason enough.

NO WAI!!!! =O That's amazing!

Then I'm Wonder Woman. But no one else is supposed to know that.

XD

-Dodges any rotten foods thrown for that comment-

XD.
~Angel~
~Angel~

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylor 9/10/2009, 7:25 pm

Azrael wrote:If you think the DC Universe is in sorry shape, you haven't been reading.
I will readily admit that. I've been out of the "current" comics loop for years. (And as such, I certainly would not characterize myself as a "comics fanboy".) However, from what I've gleaned from various media sites and industry blogs, things have not sounded good at all...particularly when it comes to the actual Titans books.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (please!), but haven't many of the characters who were "permanently" killed off in Infinite Crisis (i.e. Superboy) since come back to life? And there's also some pretty (ahem) bizarre stuff going on in the Batman books lately, if I'm not mistaken...

Azrael wrote:
On a somewhat related topic...does anyone know what the current status of the live-action TT movie that was being planned a couple years ago might be? The one that Mark Verheiden was writing?
It's dead Jim.

That was one of the films that was shut down and recalled to prepare for this new "DC Entertainment" deal. WB's been quietly shunting off several of these films to the grave so they could start fresh. The live action Teen Titans film is one of them.
Sigh...that sucks. Sad Do you happen to have a link?
Cylor
Cylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/10/2009, 9:06 pm

However, from what I've gleaned from various media sites and industry blogs, things have not sounded good at all...particularly when it comes to the actual Titans books.
Teen Titans has been decent. Titans, however, has been rather bad. The only issues really worth the time are #5, #6, #14 and #15. It's getting a revamp soon with a new writer and new mission statement, so Titans looks like it might well be on it's way back to being a good read.

Quite a few folks from "Titans" are moving up to the Justice League, by the way.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (please!), but haven't many of the characters who were "permanently" killed off in Infinite Crisis (i.e. Superboy) since come back to life?
Superboy's the only one I can think of who's actually come back to life. Other than that, most of the deaths have stuck. Superboy was the only major death anyways, so it's not a huge surprise that he's back; a lot of fans were whining about it.

And there's also some pretty (ahem) bizarre stuff going on in the Batman books lately, if I'm not mistaken...
What, you mean Dick Grayson being Batman? I don't think that's really all that bizarre. Since Bruce is MIA at the moment, he's the almost logical choice.

Sigh...that sucks. Sad Do you happen to have a link?
I'll have to look for it. I don't have the link to the story right on hand.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylor 9/10/2009, 9:54 pm

Azrael wrote:Superboy's the only one I can think of who's actually come back to life. Other than that, most of the deaths have stuck. Superboy was the only major death anyways, so it's not a huge surprise that he's back; a lot of fans were whining about it.
What about Bart Allen? I know he didn't die during the Infinite Crisis, but he did die and come back recently, yes?

I do think it is kind of a big deal for Superboy to have come back also, in that I distinctly remember a lot of DC people saying that part of the point of the Infinite Crisis was to make death permanent again.

Azrael wrote:
And there's also some pretty (ahem) bizarre stuff going on in the Batman books lately, if I'm not mistaken...
What, you mean Dick Grayson being Batman? I don't think that's really all that bizarre. Since Bruce is MIA at the moment, he's the almost logical choice.
Yeah, Dick...who spent all those years establishing himself as Nightwing, specifically to get out from under Batman's shadow, has now had to pull a complete 180 and BECOME Batman, because Bruce is...where, in the Stone Age? confused No, that's not bizarre at all.
Cylor
Cylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Naked Snake 9/10/2009, 9:56 pm

Cylor wrote:
Azrael wrote:Superboy's the only one I can think of who's actually come back to life. Other than that, most of the deaths have stuck. Superboy was the only major death anyways, so it's not a huge surprise that he's back; a lot of fans were whining about it.
What about Bart Allen? I know he didn't die during the Infinite Crisis, but he did die and come back recently, yes?

I do think it is kind of a big deal for Superboy to have come back also, in that I distinctly remember a lot of DC people saying that part of the point of the Infinite Crisis was to make death permanent again.

Azrael wrote:
Yeah, Dick...who spent all those years establishing himself as Nightwing, specifically to get out from under Batman's shadow, has now had to pull a complete 180 and BECOME Batman, because Bruce is...where, in the Stone Age? confused No, that's not bizarre at all.

If not him, who? Jean-Paul Valley? Tim Drake? Jason Freaking Todd? Batman needed to live on. Dick may have done it reluctantly, but it was something that needed to be done, and he was the best man for the job. Like Bucky becoming Captain America.
Naked Snake
Naked Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 9/10/2009, 10:15 pm

No, he didn't die in Infinite Crisis. He died and was de-aged. Brought back through the Legion in the future. It's for the best; he shouldn't have been made The Flash so quick and DC realized that too late.

I don't recall the point of it being to make death permanent again. It was supposed to be a sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths. That was it's point.

I was miffed at Superboy coming back - I never saw the big deal about him anyways - but I got over it.

Yeah, Dick...who spent all those years establishing himself as Nightwing, specifically to get out from under Batman's shadow, has now had to pull a complete 180 and BECOME Batman, because Bruce is...where, in the Stone Age? No, that's not bizarre at all.
Have you ever read Prodigal? Dick has always been ready to be right there for Bruce when he needed it. He was actually mad at Bruce for NOT calling him when Bruce's back was broken by Bane.

Dick is still his own man. This is part of his characterization as Batman. He's not Bruce Wayne; he never could be. So he's setting to make the role his own, carrying on in Bruce's stead. Read before you judge man.

If not him, who? Jean-Paul Valley? Tim Drake? Jason Freaking Todd? Batman needed to live on. Dick may have done it reluctantly, but it was something that needed to be done, and he was the best man for the job. Like Bucky becoming Captain America.
This.

Much as I love the character, Jean-Paul cannot be Batman. His mind has been so screwed up by the Order of St. Dumas and the "System" that he grew sort of a multiple personality disorder. He blew it during his time as Batman because he lost control over his sanity and much of his life afterwords was spent trying to atone. Jason Todd is a murderous ex-Robin. Definitely not suited. Tim is too young and at the moment not mentally equipped after Bruce's death.

There really was no one else for the job and as Snake said, Batman must live on. Always.

Also, Bucky as Captain America; that ongoing saga has been one HELL of a story.
Azrael
Azrael

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylor 9/10/2009, 11:14 pm

You miss my point about Dick becoming Batman; it isn't just about there being no one else who's qualified to put on the mask...it's that someone else needs to put on the mask, because Bruce is...where, again?
Cylor
Cylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next